Definition of reactionary in English:
(Of a person or a set of views) opposing political or social liberalization or reform.
- It is a highly political ruling with reactionary consequences for both asylum-seekers and democratic rights as a whole.
- To make matters even worse, a Democratic president, Buchanan, gave his political support to these reactionary efforts.
- In a professional army, the extent of deeply reactionary political sentiment is far greater.
noun (plural reactionaries)Back to top
A reactionary person.
- The lesson of the story was that from a long-term point of view, all reactionaries are paper tigers.
- He is an opportunist and a power hungry reactionary, I don't even see him ‘liberalising’ the economy.
- No mere reactionary, Schwartz was also interested in and informed about contemporary art that might look very different from his own.
Words that rhyme with reactionarycoronary • expansionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.