- A soft, reddish mineral consisting of arsenic sulfide, formerly used as a pigment and in fireworks.More example sentences
- Orpiment is a lesser mineral associated with realgar and lead sulfosalts in dolomite at Binnental, Valais, Switzerland.
- It is an alteration product of realgar, native arsenic, and, less commonly, arsenopyrite.
- The next morning we drove west to the famous town of Shimen, the locality for all the superb realgar and orpiment crystals.
late Middle English: via medieval Latin from Arabic rahj al-ġār 'arsenic', literally 'dust of the cave'.
More definitions of realgarDefinition of realgar in:
- The British & World English dictionary