Definition of rebus in English:
noun (plural rebuses)
1A puzzle in which words are represented by combinations of pictures and individual letters; for instance, apex might be represented by a picture of an ape followed by a letter X.
- Similar to doing a rebus or crossword puzzle, it's a drawing of nine dots, and the challenge is to connect them without lifting the pen from the paper.
- Just last week one of the words in the rebus puzzle was a cow plus a banjo minus the letter ‘M.’
- Designs often took the form of pictorial puns and rebuses, or word puzzles.
1.1 historical An ornamental device associated with a person to whose name it punningly alludes.
- Among the myriad rebuses on the aforementioned double-sided sheet at Windsor, there is an elaborate one on the verso that includes an image of a black yarnwinder.
- For Leonardo, the double meaning of word-images in a rebus, like the deceptive vagaries and elusive nature of vision, must have made him acutely aware of the relativity of perception.
- As layered rebuses of meaning with an exceptional iconographic density, they visually manipulated inherited codes of social value, adroitly invoking both positive and negative contemporary references.
Words that rhyme with rebusPhoebus
Definition of rebus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.