Definition of recapitulation in English:
1An act or instance of summarizing and restating the main points of something: his recapitulation of the argument
More example sentences
- Even casual readers may benefit from the sectional summaries or recapitulations in the book.
- To make matters worse, he never provided indexes to his books, and gives no summaries, recapitulations of points, nor linguistic ‘signposts’ to aid the unwitting reader.
- Frank Brennan draws his lecture to a close with a recapitulation of his main points.
1.1 Biology The repetition of an evolutionary or other process during development or growth.
- In 1904, he published a book on adolescence, advocating a new theory of child development based on evolutionary recapitulation.
- Yet, like Darwin and many science textbooks and evolutionist books for laymen, the editor of this journal endorses embryonic recapitulation.
- And shame on you for including the outdated and proven fraudulent idea of embryonic recapitulation (that has been discarded by scientists) to reinforce evolutionary ideas in the public eye.
1.2 Music A part of a movement (especially one in sonata form) in which themes from the exposition are restated.
- In Sonata 10 in D Major, one of the six sonatas with full recapitulations, the lyrical second theme in the dominant minor provides a marked contrast to the assertive principal one.
- Again, Mendelssohn saw the concerto form as a field for experiment and his idea of continuing the soloist's cadenza figuration in the first movement over the recapitulation in the orchestra was later hailed by Ravel as a masterstroke.
- After the second climax, the music slows with a recapitulation of the opening theme and then fades to nothing.
Definition of recapitulation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan