1Relating to an economic recession: recessional times
More example sentences
- In addition, the recessional economy has created a more cautious buying environment.
- This trend was due to lower outflows on services and other incomes earned because of the recessional conditions of the domestic economy, including the export sector.
- Because it has diversified from gaming and tourism, Las Vegas is no longer immune to U.S. recessional trends, he said.
1.1chiefly Astronomy Relating to or denoting motion away from the observer.
- Over three decades of such trials they have shown that the recessional speed of the Moon is about an inch and a half per year.
- Typical recessional speed for Virgo cluster galaxies is about 1,200 kilometres/second.
- So, in a nutshell, if a galaxy's peculiar velocity is toward us and larger than its Hubble recessional velocity, then its light will appear blueshifted.
1.2 Geology (Of a moraine or other deposit) left during a pause in the retreat of a glacier or ice sheet.
- Thus beaches are correlated with recessional moraines, and the beach elevation remains the same until the ice barrier retreats to a position where a new lake outlet is exposed.
- A substantial recessional moraine accumulated at the junction of the three tributary glaciers at this position.
- Bogs and glacial recessional lake deposits frequently contain compressible deposits of peat and organic-rich silt.
A hymn sung while the clergy and choir process out of church at the end of a service. Compare with processional.
- Gail Smith, who has been active in church music, has assembled a useful group of pieces suitable for church or Sunday school preludes, offertories or recessionals.
- The choir sang for processionals and recessionals and during church services.
- Either of these two pieces could also be used immediately after the wedding recessional, while guests leave the Church.
Words that rhyme with recessionalconfessional, congressional, expressional, impressional, obsessional, processional, professional, progressional, secessional, sessional, successional
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of recessional in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.