1(Of something lost) able to be regained or retrieved.
- I have one or two criticisms of this operating system, because errors of the kind that I made should be recoverable but are not.
- They also say it is unlikely that any of the recoverable properties would generate him a significant fortune.
- Lost British gold in Spanish waters may now be recoverable with the use of deep-water robots.
1.1(Of compensation or money spent or lost) able to be regained or secured by means of a legal process or subsequent profits.
- But it is best to avoid making impulse donations because charities do better through planned giving - not least because tax is often recoverable.
- The judge had held that VAT on rent was also recoverable.
- Such a fee is recoverable by the mortgagee if a statement is requested by the mortgagor.
2(Of an energy source or a supply of it) able to be economically extracted from the ground or sea.
- Nearly half of the world's economically recoverable oil reserves have already been extracted and around 50 countries have passed their point of peak oil output.
- We could set vehicle mileage standards for SUVs and light trucks at 40 miles per gallon and save eight times as much oil as is economically recoverable from the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
- Using the price as a basis for economically recoverable reserves, some oil companies developed a price-reserves relationship that incorrectly led to increased estimates of oil reserves.
- Example sentences
- Administrators find themselves in a Catch-22 situation - the more the business relies on the data, the more it needs frequent backups to ensure fast recoverability.
- Likewise, categorizing data also helps prioritize and ensure the recoverability of data based on its value to the business.
- The recoverability and security of all types of information is becoming increasingly important, he added.
Definition of recoverable in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.