Definition of recycle in English:
1Convert (waste) into reusable material: car hulks were recycled into new steel (as adjective recycled) goods made of recycled materials (as noun recycling) a call for the recycling of all paper
More example sentences
- Approximately 40% of papers coming from domestic waste are currently recycled.
- Recycling centers are ubiquitous, helping Denmark boast that half of its waste is recycled.
- Typical of customers is the University of York, which recycles green waste for re-use on flower and shrub beds as mulch, saving costs of disposal and purchase of products.
1.1Return (material) to a previous stage in a cyclic process.
- This pathway may also be involved in the senescence process where it may be required for recycling nitrogen from proteins.
- Biotinidase is the enzyme that recycles the vitamin biotin.
- The liver, one of the more versatile organs, recycles the lactic acid by converting it back to glucose for reuse by the muscles and other organs.
- Example sentences
- All the research we have carried out points to residents wanting to recycle and it is encouraging to see how many people have become recyclers in the past year.
- He said: ‘The council does a lot to promote their image as keen recyclers but will not collect our bottles.’
- It's also one of the world's largest chemical recyclers, storing and treating massive amounts of poisons.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan