A branching pinkish-red horny coral that is used in jewelry. Also called precious coral.
- Genus Corallium, order Gorgonacea, class Anthozoa
More example sentences
- Black coral is not a common sight - much of it ends up as jewellery, like the red coral you see in souvenir shops in Tunisia, and of which too little remains in these comparatively shallow waters.
- To acquire precious corals, they pull big blocks along the flanks of the seamount and then, using attached nets, capture whatever breaks off.
- This drops down 20m, where it breaks up into dustcart-sized rocks covered in brown and red algae, purple and rose-red fronds, sea pens and small red corals.
Definition of red coral in:
- The British & World English dictionary