Definition of red coral in English:
A branching pinkish-red horny coral that is used in jewelry. Also called precious coral.
- Genus Corallium, order Gorgonacea, class Anthozoa
- Black coral is not a common sight - much of it ends up as jewellery, like the red coral you see in souvenir shops in Tunisia, and of which too little remains in these comparatively shallow waters.
- To acquire precious corals, they pull big blocks along the flanks of the seamount and then, using attached nets, capture whatever breaks off.
- This drops down 20m, where it breaks up into dustcart-sized rocks covered in brown and red algae, purple and rose-red fronds, sea pens and small red corals.
Definition of red coral in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan