(British also redcurrant)
Definition of red currant in English:
1A small, sweet, edible red berry.
- For dessert I chose hot berries - a wonderful combination of blackberries, strawberries and redcurrants mixed in a Cointreau sauce and poured into a tall glass, topped with a blob of vanilla ice-cream.
- And as Georgia, clutching a plastic punnet, tugs on her mother's sleeve and begs her to accompany her to the redcurrants, it's clear that the most enthusiastic fruit-pickers live on-site.
- Get some robust, artisan bread, like a sourdough, then go wild on the fruit: blackberries, blueberries, redcurrants, raspberries, wild strawberries - again, it doesn't matter what.
2The shrub that produces the red currant.
- Genus Ribes, family Grossulariaceae: several species, including the European R. rubrum and the North American garden red currant (R. sativum)
- In season, raspberries, strawberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and brambles run riot across Scotland.
- Now is a good time for pruning soft fruit bushes, such as whitecurrants, redcurrants, gooseberries, blackcurrants and briar fruits.
- The gooseberries are usually placed in genus Ribes, along with their near cousins, the blackcurrants and redcurrants.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan