Definition of red deer in English:
A deer with a rich red-brown summer coat that turns dull brownish-gray in winter, the male having large branched antlers. It is native to North America, Eurasia, and North Africa.
- Cervus elaphus, family Cervidae. Compare with elk
- During the past 10 years, an average of 35 red deer, 50 roe deer, and 100 wild boar were hunted annually.
- They preyed on roe deer, red deer, and wild boar, but were also much loathed and dreaded for their depredations against livestock, especially sheep.
- My first encounter with a rare herd of red deer wintering in the Austrian Alps came after a four-hour ascent on skis through snowed-in forests and steep terrain.
Definition of red deer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan