- An area of a town or city containing many brothels, strip clubs, and other sex businesses.More example sentences
- This is even more the case in a red-light district than in other urban public areas.
- The car was parked in a relatively small alleyway in the seedier part of the city; near the red-light district.
- Occupying several blocks on two of the most beautiful canals in the very centre of the city, the red-light district is pretty much unavoidable.
late 19th century: from the use of a red light as the sign of a brothel.
More definitions of red-light districtDefinition of red-light district in:
- The British & World English dictionary