- 1Tending to present a subject or problem in a simplified form, especially one viewed as crude: such a conclusion by itself would be reductiveMore example sentences
- Not only is this view reductive, it reinscribes the ethnocentrism of the Britain's imperialist past under the guise of making a ‘safer’ present through the same war-mongering means.
- Crass, cheap, reductive and - if viewed in a certain light - even rather homophobic?
- But such a view is surely reductive: Young has not only been actively releasing albums throughout the 90s and into the 00s, but several of them been unexpectedly solid as well.
- 1.1(With reference to art) minimal: he combines his reductive abstract shapes with a rippled surfaceMore example sentences
- Nor is it merely the fact that they are swimming against the tide of Modernism with its utopian sense of inevitability and its flagship aesthetic of reductive minimalism.
- Emphatically framed by the terrace walls, the Inland Sea looks painted, while Sugimoto's black-and-white photos are so reductive that they evoke abstract paintings.
- His reductive abstract style, while increasingly planar and hard-edged, remained connected to aspects of the observed world.
- 2Of or relating to chemical reduction.More example sentences
- Malic enzyme catalyses the reductive decarboxylation of malate to pyruvate.
- NO, with its unpaired electron, is a free radical capable of undergoing various oxidative and reductive reactions, whereas CO is relatively inert.
- Coke, which is pyrolyzed from coal in the coke oven, is a reductive reactant used in steel plants.
- More example sentences
- The dangers of writing either melodramatically or reductively about the slaughter and terror at the center of these new killing fields are all too real.
- So, if living systems cannot be reductively defined in some other way, it will follow that no reductive account of life will be forthcoming.
- Do we perceive symbols reductively, through the filter of our own experience, and if so how do we know we are seeing what the artist intended?
- More example sentences
- Let me state this point in a different way: the reductiveness of the usual kind of ‘historical background’ has its appeal, and also its utility.
- Aghion, moreover, covers all the relevant topics in sufficient depth to escape any suspicion of reductiveness, at least as far as I am concerned.
- We're left with a social parable of mind-boggling reductiveness.
More definitions of reductiveDefinition of reductive in:
- The British & World English dictionary