Definition of redundant in English:
1Not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous: this redundant brewery has been converted into a library many of the old skills had become redundant
More example sentences
- Now, the Parochial Church Council has decided it can no longer delay the inevitable and will apply for the church to be made redundant.
- Despite St Martin's officially being a redundant church, which cannot stage weddings, Jenny was determined that she should tie the knot in her home village.
- The original St John's Church became redundant in 1938 and was once threatened with demolition through road-widening.
1.1(Of words or data) able to be omitted without loss of meaning or function.
- Ellis has not left a redundant word in this script; it's fast-paced, full of content and directly relevant to the lives and experiences of the audience.
- As I read them, those words are entirely redundant.
- A redundant expression combines two words that mean the same thing, thereby intensifying the effect.
1.2 Engineering (Of a component) not strictly necessary to functioning but included in case of failure in another component.
- There is a single path for power and cooling distribution, with no redundant components; all systems are N.
- Because these systems include redundant components, even strong perturbations may lead to only a subtle phenotype.
- Some of these components are redundant while others are critical paths so that any failure will bring the whole system down.
1.3chiefly British (Of a person) no longer employed because there is no more work available: eight permanent staff were made redundant
More example sentences
- The council claimed its ambition to support the results of the scheme financially could not be achieved unless more than 120 employees were made redundant.
- This initially took the form of the Redundancy Payments Act of 1965, which obliged employers to pay compensation to employees who were made redundant.
- The employer sold the business some years after the employee commenced work and the employee was made redundant.
Words that rhyme with redundantabundant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.