- So getting back to marijuana and reefer, you talk about wanting to decriminalize it, I mean, isn't that sort of a namby-pamby half step?
- Sure, some people might trade up from a Geo to a Ford Taurus, but what about your layabout Cousin Todd, whose entire income comes from selling the Grade Z reefer he grows in his basement?
- I was in the U.S. Army, having the time of my life. I absolutely loved reefer and acid, and when I tried junk I loved that too.
1930s: perhaps related to Mexican Spanish grifo '(smoker of) cannabis'.
A refrigerated truck, railroad car, or ship.
- Behind the locomotive is a reefer (refrigerator car) to supply ice for drinking water in the sleepers.
- Crews in Salinas would load a modified boxcar, a reefer, with cartons of lettuce and crushed ice.
- At times, the Idaho Falls yard is a sea of reefers and covered hoppers.
early 20th century: abbreviation.