- (In sports) a referee.More example sentences
- The amount of abuse that some players give the refs must make refs feel like sending players off just to shut them up.
- I actually found myself on the verge of boycotting the playoffs because of the refs.
- With time running out and Salford supporters screaming at the ref to blow for full time, Duffy made another break.
verb (refs, reffing, reffed)[with object] Back to top
- Act as referee in (a game or match).More example sentences
- Steve Clark will be reffing the game.
- The sad part is, he has reffed at least 15 of our games.
- Nick Matthew reffed the first match with almost no conflicts.
late 19th century: abbreviation.
More definitions of refDefinition of ref in:
- The British & World English dictionary