- The thing that a word or phrase denotes or stands for: “the Morning Star” and “the Evening Star” have the same referent (the planet Venus)More example sentences
- Meaning postulates are not about the sense of words but about their referents.
- But in the following passage the syntax is such that the referent of the word lap is ambiguous.
- Furthermore, demonstrative nominal and demonstrative pronominal anaphors appeared to function quite differently in expressing differences in transition stages of discourse referents.
mid 19th century: from Latin referent- 'bringing back', from the verb referre (see refer).
More definitions of referentDefinition of referent in:
- The British & World English dictionary