Definition of referral in English:
1An act of referring someone or something for consultation, review, or further action.
- Peters and Wade reviewed 2038 referrals to the Auckland Court Liaison Service over a two year period.
- Initial referral to a review pharmacist included a copy of the patient's discharge letter.
- As the previous speaker has said, National supports this legislation and its referral to the Regulations Review Committee.
1.1The directing of a patient to a medical specialist by a primary care physician.
- No effect of referral from medical or social service providers was detected.
- We selected patients by examining all referral letters to the hospital's gastroenterology outpatient clinics and open access endoscopy service.
- Your most important task is to detect potentially serious ocular presentations for immediate referral of the patient to an ophthalmologist and treatment.
1.2A person whose case has been referred to a specialist doctor or a professional body.
- Botha says the centre gets lots of referrals from doctors and physiotherapists.
- Now I get referrals from medical doctors who have seen their patients lose weight or quit smoking.
- The authority is now receiving about 80 referrals a quarter, including doctors working in primary care.
Definition of referral in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan