- A period immediately following stimulation during which a nerve or muscle is unresponsive to further stimulation.More example sentences
- The refractory period, the period following orgasm during which the person cannot be sexually aroused, lengthens.
- These actions are attributed to binding with nociceptors, which causes a period of enhanced sensitivity followed by a refractory period of reduced sensitivity.
- One pathway is relatively fast and has a long refractory period; the other pathway is slow with a short refractory period.
More definitions of refractory periodDefinition of refractory period in:
- The British & World English dictionary