- An appliance or compartment that is artificially kept cool and used to store food and drink. Modern refrigerators generally make use of the cooling effect produced when a volatile liquid is forced to evaporate in a sealed system in which it can be condensed back to liquid outside the refrigerator.More example sentences
- It was used in the days before refrigerators to keep food cool and store ice blocks gathered in winter.
- Brent Cameron, a former refrigeration repair man, explained to me how refrigerators keep food cool.
- Back then, you had to have refrigerators to store food instead of having each meal prepared and delivered daily.
More definitions of refrigeratorDefinition of refrigerator in:
- The British & World English dictionary