Definition of region in English:
1An area or division, especially part of a country or the world having definable characteristics but not always fixed boundaries: one of the region’s major employers the equatorial regions a major wine-producing region
More example sentences
- As universities accommodated this changing clientele, boundaries weakened between regions, towns, classes, races, and the sexes.
- The global market is distinguished on the basis of major geographic regions, with a special breakout on China.
- Professor Byrne dealt with the question of how learning providers can play a binding role in uniting regions across county boundaries.
1.1An administrative district of a city or country.
- The health boards are being replaced by a single national body, the Health Service Executive, which will have four administrative regions.
- This pressure prompted King Alexander I to split the traditional regions into nine administrative provinces.
- Several regions or cities with high levels of atmospheric pollution, such as Athens in Greece and parts of China, generally experienced low levels of asthma.
1.2A part of the body, especially around or near an organ: an unexpected clenching sensation in the region of her heart
More example sentences
- This reduces the spaces in the thoracic and lumbar regions of the body, which creates undue pressure for the metabolic process and for the functioning of the organs of the body.
- Occasionally, a half-vertebra is found in the thoracic and lumbar regions and very rarely in cervical and sacral vertebrae.
- Anteroposterior and lateral radiographs of the thoracic or lumbar regions are indicated in patients with localized tenderness or a suspicious mechanism of injury.
- in the region of
- Approximately: annual sales in the region of $30 millionMore example sentences
- Over the last number of years the annual expenditure on the Rose was somewhere in the region of 1.2 million.
- He was atrocious off the tee and missed something in the region of twelve fairways in the thirty-six hole decider.
- Somewhere in the region of 60 paintings will be on display by local artists.
Words that rhyme with regionGlaswegian, legion, Norwegian
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.