Definition of regionalism in English:
1The theory or practice of regional rather than central systems of administration or economic, cultural, or political affiliation: a strong expression of regionalism
More example sentences
- In contrast to many other Latin American nations, Chile has not experienced the emergence of strong regionalism or conflicting regional cultural identities.
- The country is facing all the great issues of economic change, regionalism, and cultural and geographic diversity, while Americanization proceeds apace.
- A high level of religious practice often underlined regionalism and even nationalism.
2A linguistic feature peculiar to a particular region and not part of the standard language of a country.
- The publication of French dictionaries and lexicons by Enlightenment scholars further eroded regionalisms.
- After recounting the history of some of the Victorian and in particular Queenscliff regionalisms he is researching for the Australian National Dictionary, Bruce Moore explains how dictionary-makers keep abreast of usage.
- In Britain, however, the most local dialects were associated with the groups at the lower end of the social hierarchy, while those at the top spoke RP, which showed no trace of regionalisms.
regionalist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Political allegiances within the remainder of Algerian society are scattered among small groups of democrats, regionalists, and independents.
- The Yorkshireman, an outspoken Labour MP who represents Grimsby, had his passionately regionalist speech met with applause from those who attended the convention, the first of its kind in Yorkshire.
- The old leftist has become a dedicated regionalist.
Definition of regionalism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan