1Make (something) regular.
- The task then is to find ways to regularize the movement of workers to where they can be productively employed.
- The one way system was very successful in that it regularised the junctions because they were awfully dangerous and it got rid of that danger.
- They propose a change in rule to regularise the practice of some teams huddling together before the playing of the National Anthem.
1.1Establish (a hitherto temporary or provisional arrangement) on an official or correct basis: immigrants applying to regularize their status as residents
More example sentences
- In the absence of the child's immigration status being regularized such that he may lawfully enter the United States as a person intending to reside there, he could only lawfully enter as a visitor.
- Unfortunately [he] was misled into believing… that his immigration status had been regularised.
- In November 2000 there was a major row and a month later he was arrested as an overstayer because his immigration status had not been regularised.
- Example sentences
- And although the regularization of the status of immigrants is not an issue that concerns many of these voters, it is an indicator of the party's attitude to a minority that currently numbers almost 30 million people.
- We will be asking for an end to detentions and deportation, the abolition of security certificates and the regularization of all non-status migrants.
- We need to address a regularization of immigration policy.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of regularize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.