Definition of reindeer in English:
noun (plural same or reindeers)
A deer of the tundra and subarctic regions of Eurasia and North America, both sexes of which have large branching antlers. Most Eurasian reindeer are domesticated and used for drawing sleds and as a source of milk, flesh, and hide.
- Genus Rangifer, family Cervidae: several species, in particular R. tarandus
- Because you are travelling so quietly, there's some great opportunities to spot elks/moose, reindeers or other Swedish wild animals.
- There will also be reindeers and sledge dogs, penguins and seals to give a ‘feel’ of Antartica.
- Female reindeer retain their antlers until after they give birth in the spring.
late Middle English: from Old Norse hreindýri, from hreinn 'reindeer' + dýr 'deer'.
Definition of reindeer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia