noun (plural same or reindeers)
A deer of the tundra and subarctic regions of Eurasia and North America, both sexes of which have large branching antlers. Most Eurasian reindeer are domesticated and used for drawing sleds and as a source of milk, flesh, and hide.
- Genus Rangifer, family Cervidae: several species, in particular R. tarandus
More example sentences
- Because you are travelling so quietly, there's some great opportunities to spot elks/moose, reindeers or other Swedish wild animals.
- There will also be reindeers and sledge dogs, penguins and seals to give a ‘feel’ of Antartica.
- Female reindeer retain their antlers until after they give birth in the spring.
late Middle English: from Old Norse hreindýri, from hreinn 'reindeer' + dýr 'deer'.
Definition of reindeer in:
- The British & World English dictionary