Definition of reindeer moss in English:
A large branching bluish-gray lichen that grows in arctic and subarctic regions, sometimes providing the chief winter food of reindeer.
- Cladonia rangiferina, order Cladoniales
- There he purchased a large quantity of reindeer moss from the farmers in the nearby area.
- The two lichens of economic importance are Iceland moss, Cetraria islandica, and reindeer moss, Cladonia rangiferina.
- When the weather's fine there's excellent walking on a network of inland tracks that climb past peat-dark lakes through cloudberries, bilberries, saxifrage and reindeer moss, with eagles above and the occasional moose up ahead.
Definition of reindeer moss in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan