1The action or process of reinforcing or strengthening.
- In our retrospective long-term study, the area of partial rupture did not require reinforcement in most cases.
- Most walls can be constructed simply by stacking the blocks up, while others that will be tall or have to restrain heavy loads may require special reinforcement.
- The moulding is another area where reinforcement may be required.
augmentation, increase, supplementing, boosting, topping up
1.1The process of encouraging or establishing a belief or pattern of behavior, especially by encouragement or reward.
- Teachers are often unaware that they encourage inappropriate behavior through reinforcement.
- It is essential to teach and model desired behaviours, and the benefits of positive reinforcement are well established.
- All owners will be told how to correct the dog's behaviour and how reinforcement of good behaviour will pay more dividends than punishment.
1.2 (reinforcements) Extra personnel sent to increase the strength of an army or similar force: a small force would hold the position until reinforcements could be sent
More example sentences
- In September 1863 the Union wanted to send reinforcements from the Army of the Potomac to eastern Tennessee.
- The hard-pressed British garrison called for army and air force reinforcements.
- McNaughton failed to find reinforcements, and his army commanders in Canada were increasingly rebellious.
1.3The strengthening structure or material employed in reinforced concrete or plastic.
- Elli tries to avoid plastics with glass-fiber reinforcement that doesn't flow easily through long, thin-wall mold features.
- Their protruding bits of pipe suggest plumbing or wiring or structural reinforcement.
- Stiffening and reinforcement could take the building higher, but not without adding considerable expense.
strengthening, fortification, bolstering, shoring up, buttressing, bracing
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.