The doctrine that knowledge, truth, and morality exist in relation to culture, society, or historical context, and are not absolute.
- However, the distinction here is between absolutism and relativism, not between absolutism and relationalism.
- However, relativism is a philosophical doctrine that goes far beyond such obvious facts.
- Wittgenstein sometimes appears to be committed to cognitive relativism as just described.
- Example sentences
- Cognitive relativists do not simply assert that different cultures or communities have different views about which beliefs are true; no-one disputes that.
- In this respect, the relativist is like the philosophical sceptic.
- Perhaps because relativism is associated with such views, few philosophers are willing to describe themselves as relativists.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of relativism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.