Definition of renunciation in English:
1The formal rejection of something, typically a belief, claim, or course of action: entry into the priesthood requires renunciation of marriage a renunciation of violence
More example sentences
- It concluded that, despite formal renunciation in the early 1960s of the old, abused doctrine of separate but equal, at a practical level separate and unequal remained the overall condition of black Americans.
- In 1988, in response to Jordan's final renunciation of its claims to the West Bank, the PLO declared it the independent state of Palestine, and later that year finally recognized the state of Israel.
- Even today, Heloise has the ability to shock in her unrepentant rejection of social mores, renunciation of morality, and belief in the primacy of sexual and spiritual love and its integration with her religion.
- Example sentences
- They became known as ‘renunciants’ and were interned at Tule Lake Segregation Center in northeastern California.
- I was totally fascinated by those monks: by their robes and shaven heads, and by what I heard of their renunciant lifestyle, with its 227 rules of training.
- Moreover it is a compassion directed to a specific end, the imparting of the Buddha's version of the renunciant life.
Pronunciation: /riˈnənsēənt/noun& adjective
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan