- 1Take the place of: Ian’s smile was replaced by a frownMore example sentences
- This system has quietly been replaced at every studio with a deal that returns about 55% to the studios no matter what week of the run it is.
- When the play became a film, the entire original cast returned except for Tandy, who was replaced with Gone with the Wind's Vivien Leigh.
- Just a year later on, and following the departure of Dalley, replaced by Ros Murray, the band appear to return to some of their earlier instrumental sound with this third album.
- 1.1Provide or find a substitute for (something that is broken, old, or inoperative): the light bulb needs replacingMore example sentences
- One of the charter boats had to be replaced at the last minute because of a broken bilge pump.
- Although the broken window would still need to be replaced, the inner pane protects the building's interior from the fierce winds.
- Broken roof tiles should be replaced and broken windows should be repaired.
- 1.2Fill the role of (someone or something) with a substitute: the government dismissed 3,000 of its customs inspectors, replacing them with new recruitsMore example sentences
- In China perhaps nationalism plays its most important role in replacing other elements in the official ideology that are having to be jettisoned to accommodate the effects of economic reform.
- Denzel Washington does his thing in the Sinatra role, replacing Frank's shaken-but-confident characterization with an unsure and frightened soul.
- What they have not said is that the particular foam that was in use at the time was an environmental substitute replacing a material that had worked well.
- More example sentences
- That milk replacer may very well contain cattle blood plasma, even though, in laboratory tests, mad cow-type diseases can be spread through blood plasma.
- Depending on the quota situation, calves should be fed whole milk or milk replacer for the first 8 weeks of life, or until they consume at least 1kg of a high quality starter creep feed.
- Its ‘Veggie’ brand encompasses veggie shreds (which melt well and taste pretty good too), cream cheese, feta crumbles, mozzarella for baking in pasta dishes, string cheese and Parmesan replacers.