North American informal
Definition of repo in English:
noun (plural repos)
1 another term for repurchase agreement.
[ 1960s: abbreviation]
- It is Wall Street that is behind the enormous expansion of commercial paper, repos, and other money market instruments.
- When the Federal Reserve temporarily supplies these funds to the market by buying securities from dealers with a commitment to resell, the transaction is called a repo, (repurchase agreement).
- A repo is a repurchase agreement which allows an investor to buy and sell the bonds back at convenience while a pledge is the use of government bonds as collateral to borrow money.
verb (repo's, repo'ing, repo'd)[with object] Back to top
Repossess (a car or other item) when a buyer defaults on payments.
[ 1970s: abbreviation]
- Operator: ‘It says here you're in arrears on your car payments, so your car got repo'd.’
- His brother's wife was working, part time, as a waitress (before their only mode of transportation was repo'd.)
- Homes, furniture, entertainment units all over town were being repo'd every day; even life on the installment plan wasn't cutting it in the low-cost Mojave Desert.
Words that rhyme with repocheapo, Ipoh, peep-bo
Definition of repo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan