- 1A large natural or artificial lake used as a source of water supply.More example sentences
- Some hover above fresh water lakes or reservoirs.
- Herbicides and other pesticides can reach streams, lakes, and reservoirs in water that runs off treated fields.
- If more reservoirs or artificial lakes are needed, they should be built.
- 1.1A supply or source of something: tapping into a universal reservoir of informationMore example sentences
- The bank, as a reservoir of funds, borrows amounts deposited with it by its customer and pays them out as his agent.
- Others have shown interest in the unconscious mind as a reservoir of universal truths or a place where the ‘true self’ dwells.
- Michael will always be remembered for his wit, his sense of fun and his great reservoir of information about all things regarding the Stephenites.
- 1.2 [usually with modifier] A place where fluid collects, especially in rock strata or in the body.More example sentences
- This article is geared primarily to individuals, students as well as professionals, who are relatively new to carbonate diagenesis and petroleum reservoir rocks.
- Carrier-bed rocks are lithologically the same as reservoir rocks, that is, sandstones, limestones, or fractured rocks of all types.
- The low water contents strongly suggest that the erupted tephras were derived from a shallow magma reservoir or reservoirs.
- 1.3A receptacle or part of a machine designed to hold fluid.More example sentences
- Engineering machine metal-cutting fluid reservoirs are used as coolants and lubricants in metal machining processes.
- Remember to top up the windscreen washer fluid reservoirs - new anti-freeze windscreen solutions are widely available
- At present, oil operators have to pump the well fluid from a sub-sea reservoir to a production platform, where the mixture is separated into oil and water.
- 1.4 Medicine A population, tissue, etc., that is chronically infested with the causative agent of a disease and can act as a source of further infection.More example sentences
- Our results provide further support for the hypothesis that the male genital tract may serve as a reservoir of HPV infection.
- Shigellosis is a highly contagious disease caused by Shigella spp. and humans are the principal reservoir of infection.
- Asymptomatic young men are an important reservoir for infection and are less likely than women to be detected in the course of usual care.
mid 17th century: from French réservoir, from réserver 'to reserve, keep'.