Definition of residency in English:
noun (plural residencies)
1The fact of living in a place: a government ruling confirmed the returning refugees' right to residency
More example sentences
- To be honest it felt embarrassing that I'd never given thought to the fact of his residency.
- Other draft laws give the authorities increased powers to deal with issues relating to housing, residency and labour rights.
- His proposal could lead to permanent residency for illegals, some living in the US for more than 20 years.
1.1A residential post held by a writer, musician, or artist, typically for teaching purposes.
- The final piece, Le Sacre du printemps features five dancers and was created this summer at the MAI during an artist residency.
- Three Taring Padi artists had a residency in the recent Adelaide Festival.
- Weekly workshops and master classes in theater, visual arts, music and dance are offered as well as residencies for artists from the Los Angeles community.
2 historical The official residence of the British governor general’s representative or other government agent, especially at the court of an Indian state.
- The Residency or Khengar Bhavan was built in 1882 AD as the residency of the British Resident in the ruler's minority.
- The old British Residency (effectively the British Embassy) was a vast Palladian villa, in plan not unlike its contemporary, the White House in Washington, and it lay in a garden just over the River Musi from the old city.
- Today, the Residency, a well-preserved and poignant memory of the Raj, is worth visiting.
2.1A group or organization of intelligence agents in a foreign country.
- The Moscow Center proceeded to add several new items to the London KGB residency's monitoring task.
- The KGB ‘residency’ in Delhi was one of the largest in the world outside the Soviet bloc, and was awarded the rare honour by the Centre of being promoted to ‘main residency’.
- The majority of the translations in this release represent telegrams from the New York KGB Residency to Moscow Center in 1944.
3North American A period of specialized medical training in a hospital; the position of a resident.
- His medical residencies were in internal medicine and clinical psychiatry at the University of Florida.
- He completed a residency at Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami.
- He completed medical studies and a residency in plastic and reconstructive surgery.
Words that rhyme with residencypresidency
Definition of residency in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan