verb[no object] • formal
- Abandon a position or a course of action: can he resile from the agreement?More example sentences
- This has meant resiling from positions that might alienate persuadable interests.
- Both political leaders have been under sustained pressure to resile from these positions since then.
- So I repeat, I'm not resiling from the position I took in 1980, but I think I would take a different view today.
early 16th century: from obsolete French resilir or Latin resilire 'to recoil', from re- 'back' + salire 'to jump'.
More definitions of resileDefinition of resile in:
- The British & World English dictionary