Definition of restorationism in English:
A charismatic Christian movement seeking to restore the beliefs and practices of the early Church.
- Fundamental to Protestantism as well is the theme of restorationism.
- Christian Zionism is directly connected with the Restorationism movement and owes its intellectual origins to that movement.
- Considered part of the early 19th century Restorationism movement, Joseph Smith attested that he was chosen by God to restore the Church of Christ to a world that had fallen away, resulting in the Great Apostasy.
restorationist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- We know so much, we long for that which we don't know - hence the desire for ‘mystery’ among many young, conservative, restorationist Catholics who hunger for a past idyllic church.
- How is the restorationist movement affecting liturgical renewal?
- As Komonchak has observed, it is wrong to regard Ratzinger as a restorationist in the sense of one who desires to return the church to its preconciliar, neoscholastic days.
Definition of restorationism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia