Definition of restricted in English:
1Limited in extent, number, scope, or action: Western scientists had only restricted access to the site
More example sentences
- Downwardly mobile, despite their gentle origins, these men had limited resources and restricted access to luxurious apparel.
- In urban areas, however, the choice of space is limited because of the restricted availability of houses and the nature of freehold land tenure.
- The Nouveau Roman remained a more restricted phenomenon, of limited appeal within France itself, and less overseas.
1.1(Of a document or information) for limited circulation and not to be revealed to the public for reasons of national security.
- It's restricted information which I'm not at liberty to discuss with you till we actually get there, ok?
- Dr. Steelwell was caught with restricted info on aliens in his possession and kicked out of Area 51.
- As more and more bugs in server implementation are discovered, they are promptly used to break into online systems and gain access to restricted information.
1.2 Biology (Of a virus) unable to reproduce at its normal rate in certain hosts.
- Restricted virus production in latently infected glial cells is host-cell determined and associated with a block in Rev-dependent regulation.
- Abundant expression of all viral protein mRNAs and reduced or lacking protein translation, especially of the matrix protein, were the most important findings, indicating that restricted virus infection in the grey matter might represent a mechanism for viral persistence in distemper polioencephalitis.
1.3 Biochemistry (Of DNA) subject to degradation by a restriction enzyme.
- The chief feature of the plan is its lucidity, despite the fact that the building had to be fitted into a highly restricted site.
- If 50% of the cells which permit injection of restricted DNA are infected with at least two phage genomes and genomes are subsequently segregated by cell division, then the number of potential yielder cells should significantly increase during the course of the experiment.
- The method involved a stepwise linkage of doubly-restricted DNA fragments and re-digestion of the resultant concatamers.
- Example sentences
- It is better to allow your baby to roam more restrictedly while keeping them far removed from such places as open stair wells, kitchens, bathrooms, or any other place that could pose a risk to your child if they were able to gain entrance while un-attended.
- This organism grew restrictedly on various culture media, and formed olive brown to dark green colonies.
- Example sentences
- Some words should be added in order to introduce this social group we worked with as well as to accentuate both the restrictedness and specific nature of our material.
- The town was medieval, surrounded by a wall, which symbolized for Tillich the narrowness and restrictedness of his environment.
- Consequently, owing to the restrictedness of our individual perspectives and the finiteness of our particular existence we are likely at times to shrink reality down to those aspects which we can easily abstract from or correlate with our own limited experience.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.