- "Before I proceed," he resumed, "I must recall to your minds Newtons general law, that the attraction of two bodies is directly proportional to the product of their masses, and inversely proportional to the square of their distances."
- I had scarcely taken in which was land and which was water, much less the significance of the buoy, when he resumed: 'Never mind; I'm pretty sure it's all deep water about here.’
- She returned back inside, sauntering into the drawing room where she resumed her position on the window seat, picking up the book.
- As the guard resumed his post they returned up the passage.
- Vixen returned to Rhym and resumed her identity as Almira de Kinsei.
- I remember many interesting resumes out of the 100 we received, but one stood out as unlikely: the candidate was simply too qualified.
- Can I list these awards on my resume even though technically I did not win them?
- Tucked away at the far end of the show floor, the two neat rows of some twenty booths were packed with people, filling out forms, handing out resumes, talking to recruiters, and even vowing to come back tomorrow with resumes.
- Example sentences
- The receive location will remain enabled, with error messages being suspended in a resumable state.
assume from Late Middle English:
The word comes from Latin assumere formed from ad ‘towards’ and sumere ‘take, take up’. Sumere also gives us, from the same period consume ‘take up together’; presume ‘take before’ hence ‘take for granted’; and resume ‘take back’.
Words that rhyme with resumerésumé abloom, assume, backroom, bloom, Blum, boom, broom, brume, combe, consume, doom, entomb, exhume, flume, foredoom, fume, gloom, Hume, illume, inhume, Khartoum, khoum, loom, neume, perfume, plume, presume, rheum, room, spume, subsume, tomb, vroom, whom, womb, zoom
For editors and proofreaders
- Using email, I've been able to review résumés, cover letters, even outlines of talking points for an interview.
- But she should spend most of the résumé describing her professional background, which includes doing a variety of jobs at a drug testing lab.
- Rather than sifting through scores of dubious résumés drawn by salary and job description, you're in control now.
- After taking a quick glance at his résumé, I was surprised by how many films I had seen, but I wasn't surprised to discover how many I disliked.
- Exemplary résumés breathe with ample white space to make key information easy to absorb.
- Between staring at her and listening he gave a résumé of his life finishing with a description of his children, Bradley, Darren and Nicola and his plans.
Early 19th century: French, literally 'resumed', past participle (used as a noun) of résumer.
Words that rhyme with résuméresume
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.