Definition of resurrection plant in English:
Any of a number of plants that are able to survive drought, typically folding up when dry and unfolding when moistened, in particular.
- ● A fern of tropical and warm-temperate America (Polypodium polypodioides, family Polypodiaceae). ● A Californian club moss (Selaginella lepidophylla, family Selaginellaceae). ● The rose of Jericho.
- The resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum is able to survive almost complete tissue dehydration when water is withheld from it, and then can rehydrate rapidly on rewatering.
- The species of resurrection plant known in Zulu as ‘isiphemba’ or ‘isiqumama’ is used for asthma treatment, nose bleeds, general aches and as an anti-inflammatory.
- A few unusual so-called resurrection plants are able to survive extreme loss of water from their vegetative tissues.
Definition of resurrection plant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India