Definition of resurrection plant in English:
Any of a number of plants that are able to survive drought, typically folding up when dry and unfolding when moistened, in particular.
- ● A fern of tropical and warm-temperate America (Polypodium polypodioides, family Polypodiaceae). ● A Californian club moss (Selaginella lepidophylla, family Selaginellaceae). ● The rose of Jericho.
- The resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum is able to survive almost complete tissue dehydration when water is withheld from it, and then can rehydrate rapidly on rewatering.
- The species of resurrection plant known in Zulu as ‘isiphemba’ or ‘isiqumama’ is used for asthma treatment, nose bleeds, general aches and as an anti-inflammatory.
- A few unusual so-called resurrection plants are able to survive extreme loss of water from their vegetative tissues.
Definition of resurrection plant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.