Definition of retractor in English:
1A device for retracting something: seat belts with automatic retractors
More example sentences
- Easily visualizing the acetabulum, the surgeon places retractors, avoiding sciatic nerve injury.
- The surgeon and assistant protect the sciatic nerve with retractors while dividing the hip capsule, leaving all possible structures intact.
- The surgeon places two self-retaining retractors at right angles to one another to retract the longus colli muscles.
1.1 (also retractor muscle) chiefly Zoology A muscle serving to retract a part of the body. Compare with protractor.
- The literature on echinoderm neurobiology is sparse, but one of the few studies available found that the pharyngeal retractor muscle of the holothurian Cucumaria has perhaps 700 motor units.
- On the day of the experiment, the shell was opened, the anterior byssus retractor muscle was exposed, and the pedal ganglia removed.
- In the overhead thrower, the shoulder external rotator muscles, scapular retractor muscles, and protractor and depressor muscles are frequently isolated because of weakness.
Definition of retractor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan