verb (retrofits, retrofitting, retrofitted)[with object]
1Add (a component or accessory) to something that did not have it when manufactured: drivers who retrofit catalysts to older cars
More example sentences
- Heat pump water heaters can be purchased as integral units with built in water storage tanks or as add-ons that can be retrofitted to an existing water heater tank.
- Because of the amount of wiring involved, the work is best done while a house is under construction and the walls are open - retrofitting this much cable, unless you don't object to exposed conduit, can add considerably to the cost.
- There are many techniques depending on whether the home is under construction or being retrofitted to eliminate noise pollution.
1.1Provide (something) with a component or accessory not fitted to it during manufacture: buses have been retrofitted with easy-access features
More example sentences
- To solve these interrelated problems, her mother had the original windows retrofitted with state-of-the-art solar window film.
- The comfortable blue molded fiberglass chair, designed by Eero Aarnio, had been retrofitted by Fascia with a mouse pad and mouse at the end of the armrest.
- Silos need to be retrofitted with some kind of aeration equipment.
1An act of adding a component or accessory to something that did not have it when manufactured.
- Its energy efficiency retrofits of existing public buildings utilize the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Green Building Rating System.
- Indeed, the NDA says it is much cheaper to consider the needs of all customers from the outset, so as to avoid expensive and difficult retrofits.
- Performance-based fees are easier to implement for energy retrofits.
1.1A component or accessory added to something after manufacture.
- When a club owner waits to consider security until after the club is built, it can cause additional expenses in retrofits and possible expenses for security personnel.
- An inefficiency tax on the generation of dirty energy would be a brilliant thing, along with tax credits for installation of solar panels and energy-efficient retrofits.
- I don't work here, I'm a liaison for the architecture firm handling the retrofit.
Words that rhyme with retrofitacquit, admit, backlit, bedsit, befit, bit, Brit, Britt, chit, commit, demit, dit, emit, fit, flit, frit, git, grit, hit, intermit, it, kit, knit, legit, lickety-split, lit, manumit, mishit, mitt, nit, omit, outsit, outwit, permit, pit, Pitt, pretermit, quit, remit, sit, skit, slit, snit, spit, split, sprit, squit, submit, transmit, twit, whit, wit, writ, zit
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of retrofit in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.