- Any of a group of RNA viruses that insert a DNA copy of their genome into the host cell in order to replicate, e.g., HIV.More example sentences
- As a vehicle for gene therapy, the retrovirus is modified so that it cannot produce infectious virus after entering the cell.
- Thus far, adenoviruses and retroviruses are the two families of viruses that have been used in the majority of clinical trials.
- All retroviruses are similar, and our genome is full of dormant retroviruses - over 2 percent of the genome is retroviral.
1970s: modern Latin, from the initial letters of reverse transcriptase + virus.
More definitions of retrovirusDefinition of retrovirus in:
- The British & World English dictionary