- I can almost hear many a reverend pastor's groaning response.
- The reverend Nicolas Morgan, vicar of St George's Church in Lower Brailes, paid tribute to the hard work of villagers.
- Since moving to Jerry Falwell's home turf in Lynchburg, Va., in September, openly gay reverend Mel White and his partner, Gary Nixon, are the social butterflies of the neighborhood.
- This is the worst thing they could find to say about this gay reverend to attack him?
- Recently, Lee-Chin was the guest of a notable Harlem Baptist reverend who told him that natives there were being displaced as a result of the middle classes moving in and the consequent gentrification of Harlem.
- He describes the conduct of one reverend, Mr. Rigby Hopkins, whom he considers the greatest religious hypocrite.
As a title, Reverend is used for members of the clergy; the traditionally correct form of address is the Reverend James Smith or the Reverend J. Smith, rather than Reverend Smith or simply Reverend. In American usage, however, the article the is commonly not used, even by the devout and reverent. Careful speakers and writers, however, may choose to include the the, in deference to the formerly common and primary use of reverend as an adjective (‘worthy of being revered, respected’).
Definition of reverend in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.