- 1A change to an opposite direction, position, or course of action: a dramatic reversal in population decline in the Alps the reversal of tidal currentsMore example sentences
turnaround, turnabout, about-face, volte-face, change of heart, U-turn, one-eighty, 180, backtracking• rare tergiversationchange, swapping, interchangerevocation, repeal, rescinding, annulment, nullification, voiding, invalidation, abrogation
- The data therefore chronicle a dramatic reversal in the direction of invasion.
- Clearly, such a reversal of the current course would not be achievable overnight.
- The mayor's comments marked a reversal of his previous position on the issue.
- 1.1 Law An annulment of a judgment, sentence, or decree made by a lower court or authority: the Court has upheld the appellate justices in their reversal of the trial court judgmentMore example sentences
- All they can achieve, they assume, is the preservation of a clean trial record for appeal, and the reversal of the trial court ruling.
- After three trials on separate charges arising out of the original events, resulting in three guilty verdicts, three appeals court reversals, and one acquittal, Cortez was finally convicted of murder.
- The reversal in the Supreme Court turned on the application of s.2 of the Charter.
- 1.2An adverse change of fortune: the league champions suffered a reversal at the finals last monthMore example sentences
- Last night O'Sullivan suffered a similar reversal, just as he had done in the 1997 final against Steve Davis.
- Tony Blair and Mr Brown had made clear beforehand they would not implement the review but the reversals were the first suffered by the Labour leadership at the conference since a revolt over pensions two years ago.
- But the party suffered serious reversals Feb. 25, when it lost all of four state-level elections.
- 1.3 Photography Direct production of a positive image from an exposed film or plate; direct reproduction of a positive or negative image.More example sentences
- Liam states that pinholes do not occur with reversal processing of lith film, but we included a water bath anyway since it doesn't take long.
- This was a ‘five lights’ production filmed on 16 mm reversal stock because they couldn't afford better.
- Since super-8 film is reversal stock like slide film, I had never thought a super-8 negative could exist.