Definition of rhinoceros beetle in English:
A very large mainly tropical beetle, the male of which has a curved horn extending from the head and typically another from the thorax. In some parts of Asia, males are put to fight as a spectator sport.
- Several genera and species in the family Scarabaeidae, including Oryctes rhinoceros, which is a serious pest of coconut palms
- Perhaps a different son-in-law might have described her as a senseless, whining, nagging, leather-faced old whitlow, not fit to cohabit with a rhinoceros beetle.
- When the substantially more nourishing bulk of a full-grown rhinoceros beetle lumbers by this week, be sure to reel it in.
- I recently interviewed a rhinoceros beetle breeder, Akahane-San, who lives in the town of Takato on the island of Honshu.
Definition of rhinoceros beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan