Definition of rhizobium in English:
A nitrogen-fixing bacterium that is common in the soil, especially in the root nodules of leguminous plants.
- Genus Rhizobium; Gram-negative rods
- In an exciting paper, Fox describes how estrogen signals between plants and their symbiotic rhizobium soil bacteria can be disrupted by agricultural chemicals.
- Since these two cover crops are legumes, they form a symbiosis with specialized soil bacteria called rhizobia.
- Closer to the point of attachment to the root, membrane-bound compartments containing rhizobia are released into plant cells where the rhizobia differentiate into bacteroids, the form capable of fixing N 2.
Definition of rhizobium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.