Definition of rhododendron in English:
- Genus Rhododendron, family Ericaceae: many cultivars
- Old Jack Frost and harsh winter winds are drying out plants with shallow roots, such as azaleas and rhododendrons.
- With that in mind I plan a grouping of azaleas and rhododendrons in the corner formed by the house and wall.
- At this time of year, the woodland garden brims with masses of colour coming from the thousands of rhododendrons, camellias, kalmias and magnolias.
Via Latin from Greek, from rhodon 'rose' + dendron 'tree'.
Rhododendron means ‘rose tree’ from Greek rhodos ‘rose’, also found in the name Rhoda, and dendron ‘tree’ found in many plant names as well as in dendrochronology (early 20th century), the science of dating things through tree rings. Rhododendron was originally used of the rose-flowered oleander which explains its name, and only transferred to the modern plant in the mid 17th century.
Words that rhyme with rhododendronchevron
Definition of rhododendron in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.