A nocturnal rat that typically lives in marshy or damp areas, native to America, the Caribbean, and the Galapagos Islands.
- Oryzomys and other genera, family Muridae: numerous species
More example sentences
- Some rodents, especially the deer mouse, rice rat, white-footed mouse and cotton rat, may carry hantaviruses.
- Additionally, the cotton rat and rice rat are the rodent vectors in the southeastern United States for the Black Creek Canal and Bayou viruses, respectively; the whitefooted mouse carries the New York virus in the northeast.
- I'd like to see a Malagasy giant rat though, and a Coue's rice rat, and a naked mole rat, and even a big smelly cane rat.
Definition of rice rat in:
- The British & World English dictionary