Definition of rider in English:
1A person who is riding or who can ride something, especially a horse, bicycle, motorcycle, or snowboard.
- The shop provided saddles, boots, and other riding equipment for riders at south Florida racetracks.
- As he intended, he is once again the best young rider in the race.
- Reece now wants to develop his riding and hopes to become a top dressage rider.
2A condition or proviso added to something already said or decreed: one rider to the deal—if the hurricane heads north, we run for shelter
More example sentences
- A few years ago the US introduced a pernicious rider to their new telecommunications legislation.
- Just as a rider to that, policing operations, in their widest context, normally can go on for years.
- With an environmental rider to the 1999 budget, they succeeded: the date was bumped four years to 2005.
- Example sentences
- Peering from behind my hands, I watch as the horses fall, or throw their rider, or watch as loose, riderless horses veer across the track.
- She suffered multiple injuries and died almost instantly when she was struck by Bacon's powerful Honda Fireblade machine, which flew riderless into the bus queue after he crashed while trying to overtake a right-turning car.
- As our tour leader overtook us on foot and unhurriedly remounted the riderless horse obediently following the one in front, I began to question how wild these horses truly were.
Words that rhyme with riderchider, cider, divider, eider, glider, Guider, Haida, hider, Ida, insider, Oneida, outsider, provider, Ryder, Saida, slider, spider, strider, stridor
Definition of rider in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.