(also ridley turtle)
Definition of ridley in English:
noun (plural ridleys)
A small turtle of tropical seas.
- Genus Lepidochelys, family Cheloniidae: Kemp’s ridley (L. kempi) of the Atlantic, and the larger olive ridley (L. olivacea) of the Pacific
- In the last five years, nests also have been documented for the rare Kemp's ridley and leatherback sea turtles.
- Like all species of sea turtle, the Kemp's ridley possesses temperature-dependent sex determination which has the potential of producing biased sex ratios.
- Among sea turtles, Kemp's ridleys hide their nests the best.
late 19th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of ridley in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan