Definition of rifleman in English:
noun (plural riflemen)
1A soldier armed with a rifle, especially a private in a rifle regiment.
- Opinions began to alter during the wars of the mid-18th century and military riflemen appeared in most combatant nations' armies, albeit in small numbers.
- Though the automatic rifle has changed, the role of the automatic rifleman has not since its conception circa World War I. The automatic rifleman supports the infantry squad in the offense and defense.
- Lately, some have been saying that every soldier is a rifleman.
1.1A person skilled at using a rifle.
- Shooting far, really far, in the mountains at inanimate targets with safe backstops is challenging and downright fascinating, even to the most practiced rifleman.
- It's the type of precision rifle you can shoot all day over a prairie dog town or snuggle down solidly in some sandbags and produce those little, bragging groups that warm the heart of any rifleman.
- Whereas Twain on the warpath was a sharp shooting rifleman and Mencken laid about with the broadsword, Brooks's literary weapon is the tweezers.
2A very small, short-tailed, greenish-yellow songbird that feeds on insects on tree bark, native to New Zealand.
[perhaps so named from a comparison between its plumage and an early military uniform]
- Acanthisitta chloris, family Xenicidae
- In this area you may see the brown creeper, tomtit, robin, bellbird, rifleman, wood pigeon, falcon and kea.
- The bush has abundant bird life, including the bellbird, tomtit, rifleman, wood pigeon and grey warbler.
- The rifleman (a New Zealand wren, Acanthisitta chloris: fam Acanthisittidae) is a basal passerine.
Words that rhyme with riflemanriflemen
Definition of rifleman in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan