- A large elongated depression with steep walls formed by the downward displacement of a block of the earth’s surface between nearly parallel faults or fault systems.More example sentences
- The most important discussion of volcanic activity focuses on the Owens Valley, which is in fact an active rift valley.
- Instead of being swallowed up, as in a typical rift valley, the sediments are spread widely over the basin or anywhere that is slightly lower than the uplifted area.
- Late in the Cenozoic, the main rift valley running through Ethiopia, Kenya, and points south, became the home of several species of large, noisy, and nearly hairless apes.
More definitions of rift valleyDefinition of rift valley in:
- The British & World English dictionary