- A term that identifies the same object or individual in every possible world.More example sentences
- Let's call something a rigid designator if in every possible world it designates the same object, a non-rigid or accidental designator if that is not the case.
- Kripke held that the behavior of names in these environments can only be explained if we think of the names as being rigid designators - i.e., as devices which rigidly pick out an individual across possible worlds.
- All these symbols are to be regarded as rigid designators.
More definitions of rigid designatorDefinition of rigid designator in:
- The British & World English dictionary